Thursday, August 30, 2012

Coming Next Week!

I know I said I wouldn't be posting any entries this week, but I created a new stair climber interval workout that I'm really excited about and I couldn't wait till next week to share it. Also, I wanted to give you a head's up on what I'm planning for next week that has me excited and if you love Pinterest, maybe you'll get excited about it too.

First things first: the stair climber interval I did today! If any of you have ever tried to brave that scary step mill, or shied away from it out of fear, you are not alone! For a year I would not step foot on that thing for fear that I'd fall right off the back. But here's what I learned when I finally plucked up the courage to try it: you won't fall off! Relax! Once you finally get brave enough to get on it, you'll find out two more things as well: 1. it's hard work and you'll sweat more on the step mill than on any other cardio machine. 2. it's boring as hell. Seriously. Staying on the thing for longer than 15 minutes is very difficult.

Well, here's your cure for the boredom!

Step Mill Interval: Two 15 minute phases; choose to do these phases as many times as you can handle it! I like to do an hour (4 total phases). The length of your workout is up to you, so you can customize it to your own personal conditioning, and build on it once you feel more advanced. Make sure you have a full bottle of cold water; you will guzzle it. You'll also need a towel to wipe the sweat out of your eyes, because sweat in the eye hurts, and there will be more sweat than you thought possible!

Phase 1: set the time on your machine to 15 minutes, and level 4-7, depending on what you're comfortable with to start.
5 regular steps facing forward
5 steps facing one side
5 steps facing backward (hold on to those handrails!)
5 steps facing the other side
5 steps with straight leg raise to the back (facing forward. this will tighten that booty; make sure to consciously give those glutes an extra squeeze at the top of the kickback)
5 steps with ham curl (butt-kick)
repeat cycle with 10 steps each, then 15 steps each, then 20 steps each. Repeat until the 15 minutes is up, starting again with 5 steps each, then 10, 15, and 20; counting every step to keep focused!

Rest for 1-5 minutes

Phase 2: set the time on the machine to 15 minutes, and level 4-7.
5 wide stance steps (facing forward. step your right foot to the far right of the step, your left foot to the far left of the step)
5 zig-zag steps (face forward. cross your left foot to step onto the right side of the step. then cross your right foot to step up onto the left side of the next step and so on. this move digs into the booty really well!)
5 knee-up steps (facing forward,  bring your knee as high as possible before stepping up onto the next step)
5 squat steps (lower into a squat position [holding handrails of course!] while continuing to step, facing forward)
5 calf raise steps (balance your weight on your toes, on the edge of each step, contracting your calves)
5 regular steps forward
Repeat cycle with 10 steps each, then 15 steps each, then 20 steps each. Repeat until the 15 minutes is up, starting with 5 steps again, then 10, 15, and 20; counting every step to keep focused!

I'm excited to try this interval workout with a buddy for a little motivating competition!

Second thing: Pinterest-inspired workouts!
Next week I'll be taking all my workouts exclusively from pins I found on Pinterest, so stay tuned for that!

Going to try this cardio interval on the step mill? Let me know what you think!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment