Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday

I have a confession. Today my nutrition was bad. Very bad! Let me drop some wisdom on you that I learned in the 7th grade and am apparently still failing to practice: "When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Let's get to it...

Monday, August 20, 2012

Nutrition
Breakfast, 7:30 AM: whole grain bagel with one wedge laughing cow low fat cream cheese, protein shake, multi vitamin, cran supp, vit e oil, joint support supp, allergy pill
(What's wrong with that, you ask? Let me answer your question with another: Where's the fiber to keep me full?)
AM Snack: none (it gets worse)
Lunch, 1:00 PM: pb&j sandwich-healthified; grapes. (ok we have some protein in the peanut butter, but the rest... Just more carbs)
PM snack 3:30: another bagel! (I'm so ashamed right now...)
Pre workout, 5:00 PM: fat-burner
Dinner, 7:30 (post workout): protein shake (chocolate protein powder, cottage cheese, sugar-free almond milk, ice, mint, spinach) I've redeemed myself a bit.

Here's what's wrong: where's the fiber?? No veggies until that pitiful handful of spinach at the end of the day. Way too much sugar (carbohydrates) resulted in a major belly-ache. I did not plan ahead today. I got lazy and I paid for it, let me assure you.

But while I acknowledge the negatives, I'm going to choose to focus on the positives and keep going instead of giving up and saying "Well I've screwed up, might as well go grab a box of donuts." 1. At least all that sugar came from slow-digesting complex carb sources and fruit. 2. At least I still went to the gym instead of going right home to bed and pouting like I really wanted to. 3. I resisted the temptation like a champ when the office bought Chinese for lunch today.

Instead of letting bad nutrition, a bad day at work and the belly-ache both those things caused, beat me down, I instead chose to channel that negative energy into fueling my workout. You could say I went to the gym feeling like I had something to prove.

Workout: quadriceps (front of thigh)/calves
Quads
1. Lying leg press (it's basically an upside down squat) 320 lbs; 3/10 (you read that right)
2. Narrow-stance loaded deep squat; 35 lb plate; 3/10
3. Quad extension machine, single leg; 35 lbs; 3/10
4. Quad ext. mach., double leg; 75 lbs; 3/10
Calves
1. Lying leg press-calf raise; 320 lbs; 3/10
2. Standing calf raise; 140 lbs; 3/10
3. Seated calf raise; 140 lbs; 3/10
Cardio
15 minutes stair master; level 5
15 minutes treadmill; 3.5 speed; 10.0 incline

Yeah, I feel like I proved what I had to prove! You know you shredded your legs properly when your quads shake trying hold down the brake pedal at a red light on the drive home. The best part of achieving a new personal best with my leg press: a guy used the machine right after me and had to take some plates OFF. So there, horrible day!

What do you do to turn around a crappy day?






No comments:

Post a Comment