Tuesday, April 30, 2013

An Update

As you know, I've been dealing with an unusual case of the "winter blues"; unusual because I'd never had a problem with it before. Well, I had high hopes that the symptoms would subside with the return of the sun and that has not happened. If anything, it's gotten worse, ironically. I decided to seek professional help because the debilitating exhaustion is impacting my life in a huge way and I could not tolerate it any longer.

I went to my doctor and got a blood test. Among the things she considered - depression, pregnancy (Ha!), hypothyroidism... was mono. I thought that sounded ridiculous because I'd never felt sick. But I just heard back from her this morning that all my levels are normal except my blood did test positive for mono.

So apparently, I've had mono all this time and had no idea. I knew mono could make you tired for weeks on end, but I honestly thought there were a host of symptoms that went along with it, including some sort of illness that would have kept me from going to work. But I never had anything like that, and she said that's normal. Strange.

However, it all fits into place. 1. I've never had seasonal depression before, why now, out of nowhere? 2. I've felt chronically worn out for no apparent reason for weeks... months... and it came on suddenly. 3. Loss of appetite. 4. Dehydration.

I'm relieved to finally know that it was something beyond my control and that I didn't just get lazy all the sudden, although it's frustrating that I can't take a magic pill to cure it and feel better instantly. It can take up to a year to feel normal again.

My doctor said that my best course of action will have to be to aggressively watch my nutrition (and start including B and D vitamin supplements), drink lots and lots of water, and of course, get plenty of sleep. (don't have to twist my arm on that one! in fact, I think I'll just lay my head down right now, just for a minute...) I'm very disappointed that I'll have to "take it easy" at the gym for a while longer. This is surgery recovery all over again! Haha.

To conclude, I'd like to appologize to all of you with whom I've frenched and shared a toothbrush. Sorry if I gave you mono... I promise it was a total accident. ;)

Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment